The Midland Company of Wisconsin built two-wheel garden tractors and the Bull Pup tractor. The firm began in Racine as Schartow Manufacturing in 1911, manufacturing saddlery hardware. In 1928, the company took the Midland name and moved to South Milwaukee. In the 1950s, Midland began manufacturing the Dandy Boy two-wheel garden tractors, selling them through Montgomery Ward and under their own brand. In 1958, Midland was purchased by OMC and merged into their Lawn Boy division.